In talking about American manufacturing, another question that comes up is this: exactly what products are still made in the U.S.A.? And while listing off every single thing that’s manufactured and made in the U.S.A. would take more time and space than we have here, we’ve still compiled a list of ten things that are manufactured here in America to give you an idea of what’s going on in American factories.
Here are 10 great products across a wide variety of sectors that are all manufactured here in America:
- Computer hardware. While many computers are still made overseas, companies like Lenovo and Apple are starting to make computers here again. And they aren’t the only ones–hardware companies like Intel are also making computer processors here in the states.
- Airplanes. Military planes aside, even some civillian planes are made here in the U.S.A. Private plane maker Learjet makes business jets in Kansas, and though Boeing outsources some of its parts, many of their planes are still made here in the U.S.A. Aerospace manufacturing actually made up 2.8% of all of America’s manufacturing workforce in 2008.
- Automobiles. This should come as no surprise. Automakers like Ford and GM still make many of their vehicles for the American market here in America, and even small automakers like Tesla are making cars here in the USA. Though not automobiles, manufacturers like Kawasaki and Harley-Davidson also produce many of their motorcycles and powersports equipment in the U.S.A.
- Toiletries. Here’s a surprise: many toiletries are still made in the U.S.A. From huge companies like Colgate-Palmolive, to smaller manufacturers like Tom’s of Maine, American-made toiletries are still pretty easy to find.
- Medical products. Two days ago we featured an enormous company who produces medical products: BD. While BD has factories all over the world, many of its products are made in the U.S.A., and they’re only one of many companies who produce medical products here in America.
- Clothing. Sure, it may be slightly more expensive, but many companies still make clothing in America. Red Wing Shoes and LL Bean both make many of their products in the U.S.A., and many more clothing manufacturers can be found simply by searching online.
- Steel. Though maybe not something you’re purchasing directly on a daily basis (or even in your lifetime, really), steel is still a very important part of the American manufacturing industry. The iron and steel market has been down slightly recently, but rising prices and other factors are slowly starting to improve the picture for American iron and steel.
- Kitchen products. Companies like KitchenAid and Pyrex are among the top manufacturers of American-made kitchen products.
- Furniture. Furniture made in the U.S.A. has a reputation for being high quality, and for good reason. From leather chairs made by La-Z-Boy to the many couches still made in America, furniture manufactured here in the states is still going strong.
- Toys. After Fisher-Price made a huge recall of toys due to lead paint from an outsourced manufacturer, toy companies like Green Toys showed up with quality-assured, made in the U.S.A. toys. Quality standards and strict laws make toys made here a safer bet than some others, even though toy manufacturing isn’t as big as some of the other categories listed here.
There are many more products out there that are made in the U.S.A.–a quick Google search will reveal thousands and thousands of products still made here in America. But what’s really important is that made in the U.S.A. products are still very much alive, and that manufacturing here in America covers a wide variety of products we use every day.
So next time you’re wondering about what’s going on in American manufacturing, take a look around and see what items are produced here in the U.S.A. The wide variety of answers just might surprise you.